Thursday, July 4, 2013

WHY?

I imagine that a wide variety of people may happen upon the blog. Some come from backgrounds similar to my own, but others may be unfamiliar with the concept of  "international missions." What does that even mean? What in the world do I ramble on and on about here, and why? In case you have ever wondered why we are doing this, this post is for you!

Basically, my life story actually begins long before I made an appearance on this earth. So I'll start from the beginning. (Just fyi, my entire worldview is based on the Bible and the belief that it is the complete, inspired, perfect Word of God, and I believe it without question or discussion.)

  • In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. We've all heard that, and its still true! He also made plans to create you and me, and everything He created was for His own enjoyment and glory. He created you and me to be in fellowship with Him, to enjoy a close relationship with Him, that of Father and beloved child. But His children chose to sin, which irreparably damaged their relationship with Him. Since that day, God has continued to seek out the lost, to bridge the gap between sinful people and Himself. He did that through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. Through belief in Jesus, we can receive forgiveness for our sins, and re enter that perfect close relationship with God the Father. 
  • However, the Bible clearly teaches that it isnt enough to believe this intellectually, and that it isn't a one way street. It is true that we cannot earn our salvation. We have no hope of ever attaining to God's perfect standards. But, when we accept His offer of new life, that means we give up our old lives. It really is like we are born again. Choosing to accept Jesus as Saviour also means accepting His Lordship. (All that means is that He is in charge, He calls the shots. He is the ultimate authority over our lives.) The Bible tells us to count the cost. Before I sign on for this wonderful, too good to be true offer of complete forgiveness and new life, I had to make sure I was willing to give up my old life and start going in a completely different direction. 
  • So what is this new direction? Obviously, trying to avoid sin, "be good people". But is that all that makes me different from the world? The more I read the Bible, the more I see the unavoidable truth that I am not just saved FROM something (sin and eternal separation from God), but I am saved FOR something: to enjoy this fellowship with God, be conformed into the image of His Son, AND to reflect that image to those around me who dont yet know Him. 
  • But why cant I do that here? This is where I was born, this is where God put me. Why would I give up this wonderful life, all the blessings that come with it, and choose something different? Why do I think its my responsibility? Cant God reveal Himself to whomever He wants, wherever He wants? Absolutely. But for some reason, He commanded us to do it. Over and over and over, the Bible makes reference to every nation, every tongue, every people and every tribe. The Creator longs to be reconciled to each one of His creations, longs to restore that Father/child relationship with every person. And Jesus left his perfect heavenly home to die for me. How could I not be willing to give up my (nearly) perfect comfortable life to spread His name, and be willing to also die if it were to ever come to that? 
  • The underlying foundation to every single decision I make is that this world is not the end. That it really is only a precursor for real life, eternal life. (I know thats a crazy thought, and if I think about it too long, i get a little confused myself. But if i understand everything, then what would I need God for? I just believe it.) So anything we give up (if you can even call it that) in this world, is only because I believe with all my heart that I am working towards something way better than I could ever imagine. I dont want to be far from my family, live in 100 degree weather without air conditioning, and wear Goodwill clothes for no reason. But I was bought with a price, and now i no longer belong to myself. I am the property of my Creator, and I exist only to enjoy my relationship with Him, both now and forever. So if He wants to use my life as a means of showing other people what a forgiven sinner looks like, He is allowed to do that. And according to the Bible, it just so happens that the people He desperately loves and wants to know and worship Him live not just in this special, blessed country, but also in places other than America. 
And so we go. To places other than America! 


No comments:

Post a Comment