Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Oh Canada!

First, go much farther north than most of you have ever been. then cross the border into Canada, and go about an hour farther north still, till you come to winnipeg, manitoba. Then, turn right, and cross back into Ontario, and continue going for 2.5 hrs. The scenery will change, as if you were crossing over an actual line, directly from bales of hay and farmland into towering pine trees and lakes on every side. Soon you will come to the town of Kenora. Pick up some chips (french fries) at the one of the iconic chip trucks (the original food truck, long before they became popular). Dont worry, you are almost there now! Hop back in your car and go just a little farther, 30 more minutes, winding around lake after lake, big and small, cabin after cabin, hiding behind trees. If you're really lucky, once in a blue moon you might see a moose or a bear. Slow down, and turn gently onto "Gibi Lake Rd." Drive carefully down this dirt road, cross a few bridges, keeping an eye out for beavers, turtles, and other creatures. Soon after the second "bridge" you will come to a gate. Only the privileged few get past the gate! The road branches off, take the path on the left. You're here! Welcome to Gibi Lake, one of the most beautiful places on earth. (And I've seen alot of places ;-) 

This was a selfie, I think it worked pretty well, except you cant see Caroline behind me!

Its "Survivor, Gibi Lake." ;-) My kids and their NC cousins are the 3rd generation to be coming here. My grandpa and his family heard about a few lots available on this lake, a long time ago, when my mom was little. They snapped up 3, one for each of the brothers. This area in Ontario, around Lake of the Woods, is an extremely popular busy tourist area. So it is extremely rare to have such a private property. There are a few other neighbors, but my mom and Bob are the only ones there year-round. 



Have you ever seen such clear water? I know many people do not have a positive opinion about swimming in a lake. They should come to Gibi! (Actually not, because then it would become like all the other lakes!) Northern lakes are generally much cleaner and clearer. You dont have the salt or waves like you do at the ocean (although I love the ocean, you cant learn to swim in it that easily). There is no seaweed around the beaches, and its so sandy, not rocky like many lakes are. You can take whatever method of transportation you want and go explore little bays and inlets and islands and all kinds of things, and have it all to yourself. 




Smores: another great tradition!



Me and my mom. Getting out early morning is best. (Not to say that we did that. :-) 

Every time you turn around, Caroline is trying to escape :-)



Apparently she thought she was going on her own little trip. 

We also like to find a rock face somewhere, and do some jumping. A thrill-seeker I am not, Patrick is much more adventurous in this department than I am. Maybe Charlie takes after me. It took quite a bit of coaxing, but we finally got him to give it a try. (from the "kid step", right here)

I'm pretty sure Caroline would jump off the roof if I let her. 



Thanks to Grandpa Bob for taking them tubing 



Exploring is one of my favorite things. (Not just in nature, but in urban places as well.) In another life I might have been a camp counselor ;-). For the past 6 years here, I have either been hugely pregnant or trying to take care of a 1 yr old. (Or pregnant with a 2 yr old. or pregnant with a 2 yr old and a 4 yr old. you get the picture). I feel like I'm starting to see the light at the end of the baby tunnel. Obviously canoeing with a 2 yr old is a challenge, but still, we were able to do so much more this year than in previous years. There is nothing better than sharing something with your kids that you really enjoy. I know they probably wont be excited about catching minnows and tadpoles as they get older, even if I am, so I want to enjoy it with them now. 





No idea why I look like I'm riding a horse here! I put it in because I thought it was such a funny picture :-). The sand was pretty quick-sandy, and I think I was having a hard time not sinking. Thats probably why.



Once again, Caroline just goes off to do her own thing, doesnt need anybody to go with her. (See above: perhaps she got my independent explorer gene?)


The floating dock is in the background. The water is shallow right at the beach, so we've always like to go out to the dock and swim there. The slide wasnt there when I was little, its one of the many new additions. Caroline just goes right up there, you have to be fast to catch her at the bottom. Seeing as how she doesnt swim. A fact that doesnt seem to cross her mind as she's preparing to hurtle herself down into the water.


When i get sad that i'm not there anymore,  I remind myself that the musquitoes, blackflies, deerflies, and horseflies were brutal this year! (But, in sort of a trade-off, there were hardly any bloodsuckers :-)  
We got to spend time with my Nana and her husband as well, I put some pictures up on FB last week. 
Seeing as how its only an easy 11 hr drive ;-), we are going back at the end of the summer. Got to take advantage of being so close! 

1 comment:

  1. I recognize this as my family's property on Gibi lake after doing a google search on the area. Wondering how you obtained access. Perhaps you know the family?

    ReplyDelete