Wednesday, August 7, 2013

birthdays and Beth

July 9. July 26. July 31. August 4. That's a busy month for us. Hannah's birthday fell on a school day this year. We are still in the process of establishing our family traditions, and I decided that a birthday is a good reason to cancel school. (As is the first good snow :-). We started with a special breakfast, then Hannah didnt have to do any chores, and she got to pick whatever she wanted to do that day. (My kids are easy to please at the moment. Their favorite activity is still going to the park!)



Followed by haircuts. When the hairdresser found out it was Hannah's birthday, she took extra time to style it really special. She looked like such a big girl! And Caroline got her first haircut. She looks a tad less Mowgli-ish. But still acts like a monkey ;-). 


After lunch we went to the pool. It looks like Caroline is wearing a weighted vest, like the kind I've seen in the gym. I promise I'm not trying to drown her! If I could use a leash I would, though. I have to literally run to keep up with that child at the pool. (Or anywhere, come to think of it.) Its a good thing Charlie stays where I leave him (shallow end), because Caroline requires a constant vigil. She will climb up to the top of the big slide and launch herself off before i can even make it down to the deep end. 


The girls received a birthday package from my Dad and Kim, and Caroline is very excited about her new dolly. Apparently that's its name, too. "where my new dolly?" "want my new dolly!" "NO! MY new dolly" - if someone else makes the mistake of picking up said dolly. 


My mom came down last weekend, and although this is, admittedly, a scary picture of both of us, I had to document. . . 

Beth Moore Living Proof Live! Oh my gosh, I was so excited. (I know many people think the hype is a little ridiculous, I mean she is just a real person. And this is true. So I apologize. But I really was extremely excited!) I think its funny I lived in the south for quite a while, and even Texas itself a few years, yet I had to move all the way up here to do this. I am not much for celebrity idols, spiritual or otherwise. I just have never experienced a Bible teacher who communicates the Word with so much passion. Beth Moore has made it her life's work to challenge every woman out there to seek God with all her heart, understand who He created her to be, and to be that person. Her all consuming love for the Saviour and the Bible is so inspiring and encouraging. (And it did make a tad homesick. All that talk about Lifeway, the south, the IMB. And the "y'all" :-) 
And Travis Cottrell led worship. I always feel like people probably shy away from me during worship, so as not to be affected by my over-enthusiasm. (I grew up very WASP, but sometimes I think I was black in another life. Or Pentecostal? ;-) Being in a large (4,000+) group like that, nobody cares or knows me. Or cares how I worship. I definitely went through the kleenex. No surprise there! It does make me think of being in heaven. 

Caroline loves her piggy back rides. If anyone is even close to her level, or even sitting down, she'll just come over and jump on you, with no warning. 

While my mom and I were gone overnight, Patrick made the most amazing birthday cake for Hannah. It was so good, 3 layers, completely from scratch. Even the icing! (which is the most important part, as everyone knows ;-) 



We hung out at the park with friends. 


And had a "smashing" good time :-). The kids beat on it for awhile, but it took Patrick whaling on it with his man strength to actually get it broken. I wish the battery hadn't run out of my video camera!


Pizza party on the floor. Why picture worthy? Some friends of ours were finally approved to move into a housing unit, and are living in their own place for the first time. We helped them move their stuff (which didnt take very long, as 2 bags of clothes can be carried in one trip) and are helping them track down some more stuff. Which is taking a little longer, but I think pretty soon they will have a nice home. Anyways, this is sitting on the kitchen floor, eating the first supper in the new apartment. (These days, i seem to add another cultural faux pas to my resume every day. Apparently they don't eat pork, and I gave him pepperoni pizza. Some non-Muslims also abstain from pork. Who knew?) 

That's all for now, folks! Next time we'll talk about our school year getting off to a great start! 

No comments:

Post a Comment