Saturday, May 18, 2013

moments from the month of May

 I wanted to repost a picture of Hannah wearing this same dress and shoes 4 years ago, but we had a different computer back then, i dont know where the pictures are, and believe it or not, I cant remember the name of our previous blog! does anyone else, by chance? 

They love to play "beauty parlor" (a game initiated by Grandma Loretta). We came pretty close to passing a milestone the other day, when Hannah came in and asked me if she could cut Charlie's hair. I was grateful that she asked first, since I think every family has a child who goes ahead and does it by themselves!  



A friend passed along some things her kids had outgrown, a scooter for hannah, tricycle for Charlie, and little car for Caroline. They have had so much fun. Even in our cold days, I packed the car out of the garage and they just rode around in there, like a little gym :-) 

Caroline has finally found something she thinks is interesting enough to sit and play with for awhile. (Other than the recycling bin, my make up bag, or my shoes). She loves legos! She makes all kinds of creations and brings them to me, so proud of herself. 


now THAT is what i call a brush pile

unfortunately she has also decided that under the kitchen sink is a fun place to play. We arent exactly baby-proofed anymore, apparently. 




Every year a couple in our church opens up their barn to host a petting zoo for the Cubbies class. Thats quite an undertaking. (Especially if my children are there) They had a blast with horses, a pony, donkey, goat, chicks, and a llama. Caroline has absolutely no fear. If there was a line to wait in, she simply walked around to the other side and climbed up on the fence to reach her goal. Sticking her hands right in their mouths was her preferred method of introducing herself. (Our little friend Ben accompanied us). 

This is the most common scene at our house. the "princess" in her tower, being rescued by the "rescue hero". And the requisite toddler streaking through the picture. 


We went over to Sioux Falls on Friday, to get Lara and Patrick from the airport. (He had been in NC, to a pre-TE consult. more on that later!) We had a great plan to spend the night in a hotel (that my sister generously donated using her credit card points, thank you Lar :-), so we would be ready bright and early for the race. I had developed a nasty head cold the day before, and that night in the hotel was epic in its badness. My cold, my adrenaline about the next day, my dislike of sleeping in different places, Charlie's just overall not good sleeping, and Caroline's being in a real bed (shes grown out of the packnplay, and hates it) all combined to make a terrible night. Despite going to bed at 9, I got about 3 hours of sleep. I was convinced I would never make it through the whole race. the next morning i was completely congested, it was cold (in the 30s) and very windy. It started off rough, but once we got going it was ok. And now i figure, if i could do it under that combination of circumstances, I can do it anytime! 

May has been bipolar in its weather. May 1st we had snow, and then last week we had a day in the 90s. The water was freezing, but the kids wanted to go in anyways. I spent alot of time around lakes growing up, so it is neat that for a short period of time we live close to a lake. and by close, i mean we can see it from our house, and walk to a little beach. The locals tell me people swim in it for the first half of the summer, but by the end it gets kind of green. so we'll take advantage of it while we can :-). 


If you look closely you will see my two girls in the distance, hannah standing on a rock, and caroline climbing up it. I took it from where they started. Caroline climbed up everything the other kids did, she is quite the little adventurer. 




Patrick and Lara surprised us with strawberry nutella crepes on mothers day! So good. 


It was nice to be with my mom on mothers day, i cant remember the last time thats happened. 


We are definitely enjoying the beautiful weather. Hannah has about 2 more weeks of school, we will be done by the time we go to North Carolina and Virginia in June. Speaking of June, that will mark the halfway point of our time here! Thank you for checking in with us, we love and appreciate you!

No comments:

Post a Comment