Thursday, June 5, 2014




A year from now, when I am looking back through the blog, these are the kinds of posts that will tear my heart out. So much so, that it almost makes me not want to do it in the first place. There is simply no way to mitigate the pain of leaving. I just wish I could enjoy the next 6 months without thinking about it constantly. About ready to pull this bandaid off. But I digress. 

We have been enjoying some really special times recently. Memorial Day Weekend Brett, Jessica and Isaac  came out from North Carolina for a visit, and nearly all of Patrick's extended family on one side got together for a barbecue. It was so much fun, and I don't mind telling you, when I look back at these pictures, the food will also be missed. I may like goat cheese and balsamic reductions, but there is always  place for fried chicken, ribs, baked beans, potato salad, and garlic bread! (one thing i will not miss, from this picture: the wind!) 






My kids had so much fun with their cousins. They are in between Patrick and I and the kids. And normally, what interest would college students have in playing with 4 yr olds? But they do, and it means so much to my kids! Hannah said she had so much fun, she wanted to go live with them. 


Another special activity that weekend was the zoo, with some friends and partners who drove up from Oklahoma to hang out with us. (so the orange shirt is mine, the brown shirt is the friend :-) We, of course, especially enjoyed the Africa exhibit. It wasn't too hot, and the animals were really active. It is still surreal to me that very soon we will be living in safari country. (in the city, but it's pretty close.) What will that be like? 

This lion was a little too active! He came right over and kept hitting the glass and roaring. I was actually scared. And I've even been on safari before, and seen a lion without a glass in between us. But this guy here was something else. Other kids were scared, but Caroline was thrilled. 





Isaac is so precious! He knows all our names, which is really impressive. He talks alot in general, and never got our names confused. He loves to say hi and bye to every person in the group, and come over and hug you. He'll be 2 in a few days. We are looking forward to getting to spend more time with him in the fall, along with the cousins on my side, before we go! 

Eating watermelon, playing in the sprinkler, ice cream, and relaxing on the porch. 

This week the kids (Hannah) had to figure out a word puzzle during breakfast. (Which was oatmeal, blueberries, almonds, and molasses. if you question my judgement when you see the next picture. ;-) It took a little help, but they were pretty excited about the announcement for a Crisp Family Fun Day.  School Schmool. 

We had really (REALLY) been needing some time together. After a mid morning snack, we headed to walmart for supplies, then went to the local Wildlife and Parks nature museum, on a 'hike' at the 'lake', and then had a picnic. The next day, Patrick went back to work, and we went back to, well, whatever it is we do all day. 


Stay at home moms have all the fun! (its like a permanent vacation, right? ;-) 


"My sunglasses fell out of my shirt pocket at the hayshed west of town. Why don't you and the kids run over there and look for them?" - Patrick says. Uh huh. I was doubtful. 

But thank God for small blessings! (especially that they didn't even get trampled by a child inadvertently, during the search and recovery mission. 

This is a loader, in case you're interested. 

It stacks the bales just like this. (I haven't lived in KS for so long that I don't remember there are lots of people in the world not yet familiar with farm equipment.) 

Last Sunday was really special. In the morning, the kids and I shared in a SS class at another church. Actually, the same SS class that Patrick went to when he was a kid. Every month, they have a God's World Sunday, and those kids are really learning about different countries, peoples, and the missionaries their church supports. So neat to see, and share with them! 

In the evening, we zoomed up to the other end of the age spectrum. We had the honour of sharing with about 25 people at a get together hosted by Patrick's grandparents. Many of these precious people have known Patrick since he was born, and have prayed for us all along this journey. (And, I might add, many missionaries that have come and gone before us.) It was a typical early summer night in Kansas, with severe thunderstorm warnings. But no tornado warnings, so we continued as scheduled. It meant so much to us that they came out, knowing it was going to be hailing and thunder storming. Being in that community center, singing traditional hymns acapella, during the storm, and listening to faithful person after faithful person tell us they were praying for us was very humbling for me. I will take that experience with me, and hold on to it for the future. And then this beautiful rainbow came out, another reminder of God's faithfulness. (It was complete in real life. I just can't get the panoramic setting on my camera figured out!) 

With people like this behind us, how could we doubt? ;-) Thank you Cadence. We love you too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment