Wednesday, March 23, 2011

rolls and roles (warning: soapbox moment)

So the other day I made these rolls. Dinner rolls are my nemesis, as Patrick put it. I've tried a few times, no more than 3 or 4, and I've failed every time. Sometimes a miserable, inedible failure, sometimes just not as good as say, the freezer kind. These looked amazing, but it was downhill from there. but I was encouraged enough to give it another try without worrying i'd be wasting all the ingredients.

Fast forward a few days. I had really been needing to clean out the fridge. The fridge (and microwave) is one of those things I just don't get around to on an incredibly regular basis. it's enough of a struggle to keep the floors and counters washed. but the fridge really needed it. I'd been talking it up for a few days too, and Hannah really wanted to clean that fridge! So we finally got around to it, and she helped take food out so i could wash, then dry the shelves before putting the food back. it took about 3 min of this before she told me "it wasn't that much fun" and was going to go to do something else. Now at this point, many of you may gasp in horror and be tempted to call social services on me, but I requested that she stay anyways and continue helping me, until we finished our task. (I understand she's a child and her job is to play and learn, but in my opinion this fell in the learning category. not learning how to clean the fridge, but learning how to focus on a task, and finish it.) believe me, she gets plenty of time to just play! She asked why she needed to do it when she didn't want to, and i said something about how we each have our roles in the family, and that's why we need and value each other, and at the moment her role was to help me with this.

anyways, she (in a wonderfully mature way that i could stand to imitate sometimes) was fine with this plan. After a minute of silence, she said with the excitement of only a child who has just learned something new and wants to teach you too, "Mommy! there are 2 kinds of roles. The kind you eat, and the kind you do." This, in a nutshell (ok, a fairly large nutshell. maybe more of a can of assorted nuts), is why I've chosen to stay home with my kids. and to continue to, for quite a while.

There is so much Patrick and I want to teach them, not just academically but about rolls and roles and so much more. (most days, in regards to those 2 specific things, i can probably just say, don't copy me, and she'd learn her lesson :-). And i want to be there when she makes a new discovery. Not to say that we are all they need, or they don't also benefit immensely from spending time with others, mostly family members at this age. nobody cares about those teachable moments quite as much as patrick and i do. we may not be the most qualified, but God gave them to us anyways, and we are so humbled and thankful to be their parents.  i know this is cliche, but my time with them is so precious, i honestly do think it will take all 18 of their years at home. I know this doesn't mean much to anybody else, but really, in 20 years, you won't be re-reading my blog, i will. and maybe Hannah will. and i want her to know how proud i was of her, and how i never regretted a moment i spent with my children.

2 comments:

  1. I love this!! Hannah is so awesome. (Which is no accident - it's the result of some awesome parenting and choices you guys have made.)

    So when is she coming to stay with us for a summer??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post, Jana. Love your heart.

    ReplyDelete